Useful Links & Resources
When it comes to challenge and adventure there's stacks of info out there. Here's a roundup of all my favourite websites, blogs, books and other links to get you started. I hope you find them as interesting and as useful as I do.
Challenges & Events:
There are challenges, events and races going on all across Britain (and further afield) so you won't have to travel far to find one near you. In fact, the hardest part is probably choosing which one to do first.
- Maverick Race organise trail running events all over the beautiful British countryside
- Rat Race offer the largest selection of adventure challenges in Britain
- Tough Mudder, if you haven't heard of it already, is a series of hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle race & mud run events
- Spartan Race run obstacle races worldwide
- Distant Horizons lead outdoor activities and expeditions in the Lake District
- Wiggle organise cycle, triathlon, obstacle and running events (they also sell kit)
- UK Cycling Events. No intro needed here, does what it says on the tin!
- Total Women's Cycling is for women who love to ride. Think news, training, nutrition and advice
- TriGirl is a great website for all things triathlon (training, events, kit and advice)
- British Triathlon is great for finding tri events near you
There are amazing athletes and adventurers all writing about the incredible things they're doing. Here are some of my favourites...
- Challenge Sophie: Sophie Radcliffe is an adventurer, endurance athlete and speaker
- Alistair Humphreys is an adventurer and motivational speaker who has been on some awesome adventures
- Anna McNuff calls herself an 'adventurer, speaker and mischief maker'
- Lauren Morton has a few stories to tell having rowed across the Atlantic twice
- Tough Girl Challenges is written by Sarah Williams who has completed the Marathon des Sables and now has her own blog and podcast - definitely worth checking out
- Milly Voice is an amazing ultra distance runner
- This Road I Ride is written by Juliana Burhing and is based on her journey from total novice to being the fastest woman to cycle the globe
- Tough Girl Sahara Challenge is one I'm reading right now. It's written by Sarah Williams about her experience of the Marathon des Sables
You don't have to pay to get fit! In fact, these are actually some of the best classes and events I've been to.
- Nike run free classes all over London
- Sweaty Betty run free in store fitness classes all over the UK, from HIIT to yoga
- Reebok FitHub run in store classes in London, Reading, Kent and Bromley
- Park Run organise free, weekly 5km timed runs all over the world
- Achieve Your Extraordinary is a great video of Sophie Radcliffe talking at the TEDx. She shares her three key learnings in the hope that it will help people when they come to making positive change in their lives.
- Women's Adventure Expo takes place every year. It's an action-packed day with inspiring talks and workshops by leading female adventurers
- Tough Girl Podcast is well worth listening too, it's hosted by Sarah Williams who interviews inspiring women each week who have all been on incredible adventures and achieved incredible things